Shop the Look: Outdoor
Start by creating comfortable seating areas and designated dining areas with our outdoor furniture. Add greenery and liveliness with potted plants and elevate the ambiance with outdoor lighting. Define the space with a weather-resistant rug and elevate it by installing a fire pit. Don’t forget to add details with decorative accents to personalize your outdoor space.
Decorating a small outdoor area can be a fun and creative endeavor. Here are some tips to make the most of your small outdoor space:
- Plan the Layout: Determine how you want to use the outdoor area and create a layout plan accordingly. Consider the available space, functional needs, and traffic flow. Maximize the use of vertical space by adding hanging plants, shelves, or wall-mounted decorations.
- Choose Appropriate Furniture: Select furniture that is proportionate to the size of the space. Opt for lightweight and compact pieces that can be easily moved or folded when not in use. Multi-functional furniture, such as a bench with storage or a table with folding leaves, can help maximize space.
- Add Greenery: Incorporate plants and flowers to bring life and color to your outdoor area. Choose plants that suit the amount of sunlight and space available. Vertical gardens, hanging baskets, or wall-mounted planters are great options for small spaces. If you don't have much ground space, consider vertical gardening solutions.
- Create Zones: Define different zones within the small outdoor area to make it feel more organized and purposeful. For example, have a seating area, a dining area, and a cozy corner for relaxation. Use outdoor rugs or different flooring materials to visually separate these zones.
- Lighting: Install appropriate lighting to enhance the ambiance and functionality of the space. String lights, lanterns, or solar-powered path lights can add a warm and inviting glow to your outdoor area. Consider using LED lights for energy efficiency.
- Use Mirrors and Reflective Surfaces: Strategically place mirrors or other reflective surfaces to create an illusion of more space. They can also help bounce light around the area, making it feel brighter and larger.
- Utilize Vertical Space: Make the most of vertical space by adding shelves, wall-mounted planters, or hanging decorations. This will free up floor space and add visual interest to the area.
- Decorative Accessories: Choose outdoor accessories that add personality and style to your space. Outdoor cushions, colorful throw pillows, weather-resistant artwork, and decorative pots or sculptures can add charm and character to your small outdoor area.
- Consider Privacy: If your small outdoor area is visible to neighbors or passersby, consider adding privacy elements such as trellises, screens, or outdoor curtains to create a more intimate and secluded space.
- Keep it Tidy: In a small outdoor area, clutter can quickly make the space feel cramped. Keep the area tidy by utilizing storage solutions, such as benches with hidden storage compartments or vertical storage units.
Remember, the key is to optimize the space you have while creating a cozy and inviting atmosphere. Be mindful of the scale and functionality of your chosen elements to ensure a harmonious and enjoyable outdoor area.
Maximize your small outdoor area with compact furniture. Opting for lighter colors can help a small area feel larger. Utilize vertical spaces by hanging planters and adding sconces.
Decorating outdoor walls can add visual interest and personality to your outdoor space. Here are some ideas to help you decorate outdoor walls:
Plant Climbing Vines or Trellis: Add a touch of nature with hanging planters or elongated and wall mounted potted climbing vines or flowering plants. This can add a lush and natural element to your outdoor space and create a beautiful vertical garden. Choose vines that are suitable for your climate and the amount of sunlight the wall receives.
Install Outdoor Artwork: Hang outdoor artwork or sculptures on the walls to create a visually captivating outdoor gallery. Choose pieces that are weather-resistant and specifically designed for outdoor use. Metal sculptures, mosaic wall art, or large outdoor clocks are some examples of decorative elements that can enhance the aesthetics of your outdoor walls.
Hang Outdoor Mirrors: Install outdoor mirrors on your walls to create an illusion of more space and reflect natural light. Mirrors can also add an interesting focal point and enhance the overall ambiance of the outdoor area. Make sure to use mirrors that are designed for outdoor use and can withstand weather conditions.
Install Vertical Gardens: Use vertical gardening solutions to transform your outdoor walls into green spaces. Vertical gardens can be created using modular planting systems or wall-mounted planter. Plant herbs, flowers, or succulents to create a living wall that adds both beauty and functionality.
Display Outdoor Shelves or Shelving Units: Install outdoor shelves or shelving units on your walls to display potted plants, decorative items, or outdoor accessories. This can help add vertical interest and utilize the wall space effectively.
Incorporate Wall Planters: Install wall planters to create a vertical garden or display colorful blooms. Wall planters can be made of various materials such as terracotta, metal, or plastic, and can be arranged in creative patterns or designs.
When decorating outdoor walls, consider the overall style and theme of your outdoor space. Harmonize the wall decorations with other elements such as furniture, plants, and accessories to create a cohesive and inviting outdoor environment. Additionally, ensure that the chosen decorations are suitable for outdoor use and can withstand weather conditions in your area.
Add a cozy and magical ambiance to your outdoor walls by hanging string lights or lanterns.
Start by planning the lighting layout and gathering the necessary materials such as hooks. Ensuring they are evenly spaced and properly secured. These can be draped along the walls, suspended from pergolas or trellises, or wrapped around plants or posts. Choose weather-resistant lighting options and consider using solar powered energy-efficient LED lights.
Finally, connect them to a power source and enjoy the beautiful ambiance they bring to your yard.
To clean your outdoor rug, promptly blot spills with a clean sponge or cloth. Use an appropriate rug pad underneath for added safety and durability. When vacuuming, use a beater bar-free vacuum or set the beater bar to the highest pile setting, and if possible, use a low power setting. Please note that specific care instructions may vary depending on the material of the rug.
For more information on cleaning rugs, consult our Guide to Rugs
Add playful floats for the ultimate relaxing afternoon drift. Set the scene with a water-resistant speaker. Make sure you have all necessary BBQ accessories and tools for your next pool-side meal.
The number one rule for poolside? You can never have too many towels
See our complete post on pool party essentials here